TuneList - Make your site Live

Monday, January 18, 2010

My Favorite Disney Princess Are...

 

If I ask you,,
who is your favorite Disney Princess??
What's your answer??

Mine are Pocahontas and Mulan.. :)
Why them??


Pocahontas



She is different from any other "castle princess" that meet their prince charming. Pocahontas lives in an island as a daughter of a Native American chief (this Native American  tribal's appearance reminds me of  the Na'vis in Avatar movie). That's the reason why she is included as a princess. She is independent, brave, tough, loves nature, and really care for animals. Her two best friends are Meeko, the racoon and Flit, the hummingbird. In the second movie (Pocahontas II: Journey to A New World) she gets another best friend, Percy. He used to be Governor Ratcliffe's dog. Ratcliffe is the antagonist character in Pocahontas. This princess is also a spiritual young lady. That is proved by her ability to communicate with Grandmother Willow (a tree) and the wind (spirits). When she gets a problem, she always tries to listen with her heart and follows it, as the Grandmother Willow told her. She is also the only Disney Princess who falls in love twice. In the first movie she's in love with Captain John Smith. While in the second movie she's in love with John Rolfe, the king's deputy. She thought that John Smith has died. Why do Poca's lover must have the same first name?! Fortunately, they don't get into conflict in order to grab Poca's attention. X) From the literature I got in Wikipedia, this Pocahontas figure and also her life's event are very loosely based on historical figure Matoaka. Her other unique difference from the other princess are she's the only Disney Princess who doesn't have romantic feeling for her fiance and has not appeared in any of the Kingdom Hearts video games. 

P.S Pocahontas (in my imagination) similar to Tarzan in female version.. Pay attention when Poca is sneaking around~~ :P




From left to right: John Smith (Poca's 1st love), Kocoum (Poca's fiance), John Rolfe (Poca's 2nd and last love)

One more thing,,
after I watched the movie for the second time,, I finally understand the meaning of the lyrics in Pocahontas' original soundtrack "Colors of the Wind"..
I think you'll more understand if you watch the video carefully..
Please take some minutes for watching.. :)



~ Colors of the Wind by Judy Kuhn ~

You think I'm an ignorant savage
And you've been so many places I guess it must be so
But still I can not see
Is the savage one is me
How can there be so much that you don't know?
You don't know

You think you own whatever land you land on
The Earth is just a dead thing you can claim
But I know every rock and tree and creature
Has a life, has a spirit, has a name

You think the only people who are people
Are the people who look and think like you
But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger
You'll learn things you never knew you never knew

Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon
Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned?
Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains?
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?

Come run the hidden pine trails of the forest
Come taste the sunsweet berries of the Earth
Come roll in all the riches all around you
And for once, never wonder what they're worth

The rainstorm and the river are my brothers
The heron and the otter are my friends
And we are all connected to each other
In a circle, in a hoop that never ends

How high does the sycamore grow?
If you cut it down, then you'll never know
And you'll never hear the wolf cry to the blue corn moon

For whether we are white or copper skinned
We need to sing with all the voices of the mountains
We need to paint with all the colors of the wind

You can own the Earth and still
All you'll own is Earth until
You can paint with all the colors of the wind


---------------------------------------------------- II ---------------------------------------------------



Mulan


The most thing I learn from Mulan is her bravery. She is far more brave compared with other Disney Princess. I could think she is too reckless. But the truth is, she just simply follows her heart. Just imagine a homy girl does rough work which normally done by boys and enters the dangerous war world because of her love to her father. I like Mulan's statement from her short conversation with Princess Mei, one of the Emperor's daughter, at Mulan II

Mei      : How did you decide between duty and heart?
Mulan : Well. It wasn't easy. But I following my feeling, I end up doing the right thing. I guess I learn that my duty is to my heart. 

Cool, isn't it?! Yeah. That statement triggers a fight between Mulan and General Shang (Mulan's fiance). Actually, the fight is mainly caused by Mushu (Mulan's guardian dragon), but it's getting worse because  of principal difference between this couple. Talking about Mushu, I think he is the second protagonist character in this movie. :P Beside Mulan's bravery, she is also an independent, nice, outspoken, and ingenious person. I really like the scene in Mulan II when Mushu try to trigger the fight in many ridiculous way, but Mulan can always overcomes it. :) She's all grown up. For your information, Mulan's character is also inspired by the legendary Hua Mulan from the Chinese poem The Ballad of Mulan (Wikipedia).



From left to right: Chien-Po, Ling, Yao (Mulan's soldier friends), Princess Su, Ting-Ting, Mei (the Emperor's daughter), General Li Shang (Mulan's fiance/husband)

I like the original soundtrack "Lesson Number One" from Mulan II..
The song tells us to be tough like a rock and be soft like a cloud..
We must not afraid of anything but it's also okay to be afraid..
Already got confused with those opposites??
One thing for sure,, we always needs both of them..
The main message is to keep those things in balance.. :)



~ Lesson Number One by Lea Salonga ~

[Mulan]-Earth, Sky, Day, Night
Sound and silence, Dark and light
One alone is not enough, You need both together..
Winter, Summer, Moon and Sun..
Lesson Number one!

[all]-wow!

[Mulan]-Like a rock, huh-huh.
You must be hard, huh-huh.
Like an oak, mmmuh.
You must stand firm, huh-huh.
Cut quick like my blade.
Think fast, huh-huh
Unafraid.

[all]-Like a rock, huh-huh.
I must be hard, huh-huh.
Like an oak, mmmuh.
I must stand firm, huh-huh.
Cut quick like my blade.
Think fast, huh-huh
Unafraid.

spoken-
[Sha-Ron]-Okay Mulan, I'm ready!
[Mulan]-Uh-huh. But you're still out of balance.
You're only halfway there.

[Mulan]-Like a cloud.
You are soft.
Like bamboo.
You bend in the wind.
Creeping slow.
You're at peace because you know.
It's okay to be afraid.

[all]-Like a cloud.
I am soft.
Like bamboo.
I bend in the wind.
Creeping slow.
I'm at peace because I know.
It's okay to be afraid.

[Mulan]-One alone is not enough.
[all]-(One alone is not enough.)
[Mulan]-You need both together.
[all]-(You need both together.)
[Mulan]-Winter,summer.Moon and sun.
[all]-(Winter,summer.Moon and sun.)
[Mulan]-Lesson # 1!

[Group 1]-Like a cloud.
[Group 2]-Like a rock, huh-huh.
[Group 1]-I am soft.
[Group 2]-I must be hard, huh-huh.
[Group 1]-Like bamboo.
[Group 2]-Like an oak, mmmuh.
[Group 1]-I bend in the wind.

[Mulan]-(You can fly!)

[Group 2]-I must stand firm, huh-huh.
[Group 1]-Creeping slow.I'm at peace because I know.
[Group 2]-Cut quick like my blade.Think fast, huh-huh
[Group 1]-It's okay to be afraid.
[Group 2]-Unafraid.

[Mulan]-You have begun!
[all]-Lesson # one (x5)
Lesson # 1!!



No comments: